The Village of Waynesfield is constantly looking for ways to improve the community from aesthetic, efficient, and resident-friendly standpoints. This page is designed to highlight some of those ways Waynesfield is trying to enhance the area by constantly “moving forward.”
Below is the most recent activity for Operation Moving Forward:
VILLAGE OF WAYNESFIELD HAS ESTABLISHED A HOLIDAY LIGHTS COMPETITION!
WHEREAS, the appearance of festive holiday lights during the holiday season would create an aesthetically pleasing environment throughout the Village for the residents and visitors to Waynesfield; and
WHEREAS, the Village Council finds that it would be beneficial to residents and businesses to create an annual special event known as the Village of Waynesfield Holiday Lights Competition, which will encourage residents and businesses to decorate their homes and storefronts with holiday lighting in a festive manner during the holiday season.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE VILLAGE OF WAYNESFIELD, AUGLAIZE COUNTY, OHIO, AT LEAST A MAJORITY THEREOF CONCURRING THAT:
- There is hereby established the Village of Waynesfield Holiday Lights Competition.
- Only residential properties shall be eligible for prizes. However, businesses are encouraged to participate also.
- The competition shall run from December 1st of each year to December 25th.
- Residential proprieties and businesses are encouraged to show their holiday spirit by illuminating their house, garage, yard, trees, and businesses with holiday lights and festive decorations and anything else that tactfully and appropriately showcases their property or business.
- The Mayor shall appoint a three person committee of non-Village residents annually to judge participants.
- The committee shall select a first, second, third and fourth place winner.
- The first place winner shall be entitled to one month’s free electric on that portion of the utility bill. The award shall be in the form of a credit and shall be reflected on the January bill following the competition.
- The second, third and fourth place winners shall be entitled to a credit on their Village electric bill in the amount of fifty and 00/100 dollars ($50.00), twenty-five and 00/100 dollars ($25.00) and ten and 00/100 dollars ($10.00) respectively. The January bill following the competition shall receive the credit.
- The committee will tour the Village some time during the contest, select the four properties which exude the most holiday spirit and then by majority vote establish the winner and each succeeding place.
- Winners will be announced at the January Village Council Meeting and results will be posted at regular village posting locations.
- Participants in the contest shall only use holiday lights secured in a safe and professional manner, and loose or dangling lights are allowed only if they do not interfere with pedestrians or public safety.
- The Village is authorized to require removal or modification of any lights or decorations, at the expense of the property owner, where such lights or decorations interfere with pedestrians or public safety or are secured in a manner in violation of this ordinance.
- All Village employees and elected officials are not eligible for prizes.
- This ordinance shall become effective upon the earliest time provided by law.
Passed and adopted this 24th day of October, 2016, by the Village Council Waynesfield.